Saturday, November 12, 2011

Anchor's Away

Grandpa Hamblin was the only grandpa I knew, my dad's father having died when my dad was a teenager. I grew up spending every other summer at my grandparent's cabin in Wyoming, going on the zip line, braving outdoor toilets, eating hotcakes, building fires, breaking pinatas, sleeping in the camper, hiking, and baking cookies to name just a few activities. He and grandma would often drive up to Washington to spend time with us or take care of us while my parents went on various trips. I can think of many times when we visited Mt. Rainier with Grandma and Grandpa or did things around the house with them.

Grandpa was one of the sweetest men I knew. He was always interested in what you were up to, always wanted to give you hugs and squeezes, and was always (always) excited to see you. You felt special, you felt important, you felt loved around Grandpa. He would share tales from his childhood and stories of his work life-a fascinating life that took him all over the state of Wyoming.

So as his life has come to a close I just want to say thank you Grandpa. Thanks for being so loving, kind, considerate, understanding, and sweet. Thanks for being you. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one thing about Uncle Dale that will always stay with me was that he genuinely loved me. He cared about me, how I was doing and (as you said) was always, always happy to see me. He was an amazing person.

It will be so wonderful to hear everyone's happy memories with Dale when we get together on Friday.

Jeanna

Collette said...

What a great tribute! I'm so excited to see everyone on Friday!!

Brittany said...

you expressed exactly how i feel about uncle dale. he was an amazing person that i love very much.

mom/Janet said...

This is sweet Abbie. Thanks for doing it.

Amanda said...

janet i am so sorry. I didn't know your father but I know you loved him much. From what I read, you have alot of his same gifts. Your a wonderful person.

Anonymous said...

This is exactly how I remember grandpa too..so sincere, so genuine and so tenderhearted. I loved his fascination with milk and Oreos! Sniff, sniff...miss him so much already!
Love your pictures too...
Xoxo Janae.

Dedre said...

ahh what a sweet post. You have his smile I think. (Janet) and...really, I agree with Amanda...sounds like you got most of your personality from your dad!

Bonnie White said...

Janet I am sorry to hear abour your father's passing. I remember how his letters used to make you laugh out loud and you told me once that he had the ability to make those around him feel loved without any conditions. You have been blessed with a wonderful legacy. I'd like to visit with you more. When can I call?