Our first stop was to see Dane in his element and the reason they are in Houston through May. He is not paid for his internship but one of the perks is being able to get instruction in the simulator. His instructor let us come in toward the end.




You can't visit Texas without experiencing a Bar-B-Que eatery. One was recommended to us and we staked it out. To me it was a bit disgusting the amount of meat people were eating but some people just love a good bar-b-que. As for me - - - I could never have it and be just fine. I was a good sport and let the 'guys' do their thing.


You were served your meat on pieces of butcher paper. You could buy side orders of salads but you had to eat it from the bowl or on your butcher paper. The place was busy with lines going out the door. I guess people come from miles to this specific place. It was an experience. The treat for me was the Girl Scouts selling their cookies outside the building. YUM

Our next stop was New Braunfels where Bill served his mission. It is a quaint town with a little bit of a theme like Leavenworth. We found where Bill used to live and loved hearing the stories of living there.

San Antonio was the next mission stop. Our first stop was the temple. It is the same size as the Columbia River Temple and looks very similar. The stained glass windows were beautiful. It was up on a hill and had a gorgeous water fall in front. Worth the extra 20 miles we drove to see it.




Our last stop in San Antonio was The Alamo. So interesting. History makes so much more sense the older you get. You could really get a sense of the lives lost there.

Sunday was Valentine's Day and tradition came into play. I always made the kids a huge/layered valentine cookie with candy decorations etc. Bridget and I made them on Friday while Dane was at work and froze them until the big day. Dane was a happy camper and Bill and Bridget benefited also. It was fun to be able to carry on that tradition again. I have missed that.

We went to church with Dane and Bridget and as it turns out, it is the building that Bill attended as a missionary. That chapel was dedicated while Bill was serving there. It was a neat experience to have with Bill. On our way to the airport, we drove by the Houston temple.

When you are in the company of an aspiring pilot, what trip to the airport would be complete without finding some place to watch planes fly in and land. We did that with the spare time we had before our flight. Dane would tell us what kind of plane it was but for me a plane is a plane. :)


Although I would love to have our kids live closer, the perks are that we get to visit places we might not normally go. Thanks for a fun weekend Dane and Bridget.
11 comments:
So fun!!! I want to go to Houston! Maybe Ella and I could drive down there. :) I got all teary eyed looking at Dane in the "cockpit". I'm going to have a brother who's a pilot! Wish we could have been there too...
Ab, you are going to have 2 brothers who are pilots! Nice! Hope you get to enjoy the perks, too!
Janet, we enjoyed visiting the other Smith fam in St. G over the weekend. :)
We were in Sside over the weekend and (being Valentine's Weekend) my mind kept wandering to your sugar cookies! (Good thing I didn't try to pop by for one.) Seeing the giant ones you made with D&B makes me mucho jealous. Your sugar cookies are magical.
I'm on the fence about the meat. It looked good hanging in the oven, but the butcher paper table was less so.
Abbie...what Jeanna said! :)
Looks like a fun trip. Hopefully Leisa and I can find some time to make it down there.
Dane, you look like you fit there in the cockpit! Nice!
And I want the recipe Janet for the cookies. I tried a new recipe - disasters all. They spread all over the pan wanting to look like crepes instead of cookies. Such a waste of ingredients, time.
How fun!! I love the temples and scenery. Seriously..I guess it's a perk so you can visit places..and it looks a little warmer than it has been here!
What an adventure! You weren't KIDDING when you said you had fun!
You know, Janet, the more I get to know you, the more I just admire you as a person, a wife, a mother...a role model. You are really such an inspiration. You seem to stand for many of the qualities I hope to aspire to someday.
Thanks for coming! I can add my voice to say that we had a blast! Every minute was so fun. We are still recovering from the meat and sugar cookies...needless to say :)
A few comments:
1. I am proud to have a nephew who shows up for class looking like he didn't just get out of bed. Hat's off. The book you were carrying looked to be the size of a large-print quad!
2. RE: The pic of the cookies - what was in William's??
3. Watching planes reminded me of the boys and I driving across the Lake Washington floating bridge in 1990. We could see planes taking off and landing on the horizon. Dale's response? "That's a Delta jet." It's in their blood.
4. New Braunfels brings back memories of receiving letters from William with that address almost 40 years ago.
Thanks Janet. It's nice to see the Smith blog cranking out the news again.
I have a college roommate from New Braunfels and her family is still there. What a small world and I love finding connections like that! I'm with Sunny, it was so hard for our family to move away from you and Bill, we had finally started feeling a connection with someone. Thanks for your example!
Oh man I wish we knew you were there..e could have gotten together! We love San antonio I would live there if I could. Oh well just have to settle with visiting...
Post a Comment