Twelves years ago we took the kids to the Central Washington State Fair in Yakima. There was a dairy farmers booth there that gave the kids sacks full of fun things. (stickers, pencils etc) Dale got a pink rubber cow and gave it to Bill because he didn't want it. Bill gave it to me and I didn't want it either so I gave it back to Bill and told him to just throw it away.
About two days later, I found this pink cow on my steering wheel early in the morning as I left to go teach seminary. I cracked up and so began the appearance of this pink cow in various places. When Bill was the bishop, I asked one of his councilors to let me into Bill's office while I was at seminary. I put this pink cow on the top of a picture frame, that Bill had on his desk, of me and our daughters. These are the kind of things that pink cow has been through. Bill has since lovingly nicknamed it PC (pink cow) There would be months and sometimes years before this little cow would show up but we have had so much fun with it. It has always been in my possession so I have had to initiate it.
.............Move forward to yesterday. We had a dear friend in Sunnyside pass away and we had planned to attend her funeral at 1pm. Bill didn't make it home from work in time so as I left to go alone, I saw PC in my drawer. I thought this would be a fun time to let Bill know I was thinking of him. As I went into the garage, I turned around and put PC on the door knob so Bill would see it as he came into the house. From there I forgot all about it.
I had told Bill that when I returned home from the funeral, I would make some bread to go along with some stew we were having for dinner. The pictures that follow, tell the rest of the story. :) Enjoy because I laughed out loud when I saw it.
As I pulled out the drawer that held my bread pans, this is what I saw.

At first I was a little confused how a post-it-note got in the bread pans but after reading it, I knew what was up. It said "eat more bread, less beef, pc"



I looked over and saw these on the table. Evidence to me that as I was thinking of Bill and placing PC on the door knob, Bill was thinking of me and buying me flowers. Life is fun and we laughed about how much fun PC has been to us.
7 comments:
Haha, yes, more time together means more inside jokes.
Monico and I have a small stuffed fabric heart instead of a pink cow, but it serves the same purpose.
You two are so great. What a great story and great memories we miss you both....hopefully we will see you soon :o)
Now that is a family tradition. PC is such a great way to keep life fun! You guys are great examples of a healthy, fun marriage and family!
i love that story. i really do think it's the little things like that that can keep a marriage going.
i have had a similar experience with burgandy and a red pot holder (i don't remember how it was initiated) and my good friend and a silly note we passed back in forth one day during sacrament meeting (and again several times for a few years following). it has been fun!
What a great post Janet.
I'm having fun catching up today by reading people's blogs. Still have quite a ways to go.
BTW, who passed away in Sunnyside? Anyone I know?
Aunt Beth
What a fun story, thanks for sharing it!
Janet that entry about PC and the fun you've had with Bill and your family with it made me wish we had something like that too. I suspect we do but can't think of it right now at 4 a.m. Two things I saw right away: how clean your cupboards are AND how sweet you are to each other. Let's travel together soon - now that we don't have underaged children to ruin our fun.
Post a Comment