Our daughter Abbie has started a photography business. She e-mailed all her friends and 3 of them from DC contacted her to see if she'd come up and take their pictures. (2 1/2 hour drive) They paid the gas and she made the trip. Sweet little Ella complicated things because Scott was in the middle of finals and two arrangements she made, to have her stay with friends, fell through. Nine days before her appointments, I asked Bill if I could fly to DC and take care of Ella while Abbie did her work. Little did I know how cheap I'd be able to do it and all the 'fringe benefits' that would go along with it.
I found a flight from Spokane for $298 round trip. SWEET I remembered we had the $150 travel vouchers, we got from Delta, when we flew to Switzerland and weren't allowed in the crown club room in Paris. SWEET We paid $190 for my round trip ticket to DC. It doesn't end there. We are silver medallion with Delta because of the amount of miles we have flying with them. Because of that, I got free upgrade to first class on all four connections. Spokane - SLC then SLC - DC and the same on the return flight.

I was offered drinks when I got on the plane - - didn't have to wait for the plane to reach altitude. Hot hand rags were offered before the meals and they hung my coat on a hanger and it was returned to me before landing.
Going to DC we were served dinner and returning, we had breakfast. The dinner was actually very good but the breakfast was definitely airline food. No complaints, though. Had I been in couch, I wouldn't have been served anything but cookies or peanuts.

I was concerned that Ella would not be fully content being with me and her mom gone and in a strange place. That was not the case at all. To say she was an angel is an understatement. She came right to me and would let me do for her even when her mom was around. I was in heaven. I couldn't believe how fun it was. She has just started walking and loves riding in the stroller. Between those two activities, we had no problem spending the day together. The weather was 86 on Friday and 94 on Saturday. I could hardly stand the fact that I had to leave her on Saturday evening. She got her first pair of walking shoes from Grandma and a new dress and a few other things. I wish she was old enough that I could have brought her home with me for a week or so. Some day!!!!
You can't see Ella too well but this is proof that we were in DC. Abbie was taking pictures at the Jefferson Memorial.

Ella was so well behaved at the restaurant. She loved playing with the fork and napkins.

She was a little insecure in the sandals but loved the flowers on them. When she'd fall, she'd look at the flowers and try to pick them off.

All the rest of the pictures were videos. I had to bring something home to Grandpa so he could see what he missed. He hasn't seen her walk. The videos were too long to download.
I'm glad I made the effort and it was worth every minute and every dollar we spent. It made the photo shoots so much easier for Abbie knowing that Ella was in good hands. Thanks for the opportunity Abbie and a big Thanks to Bill for being so generous in letting me go.
7 comments:
I'm so jealous! Ella is such a cutie! :)
Mom. You little trickster. You told me you hadn't taken any pictures of first class. :) I should have known better. You have learned from the best. :) Cute pictures and I'm jealous of the first class for sure.
Thank me? No thanks needed. THANK YOU!!! Seriously, it would have been so extremely stressful without you there and I almost think Ella liked you better than me! It makes me sad that we're so far away from you guys. Too bad there isn't a cool, non-rainy city near you guys for us to live in once we're done with school. We'll see what the future holds. :) LOVE YOU! and thanks again!
i'm so glad that you could go be with your CUTE little granddaughter. How fun. What an awesome mom!
Sounds like you had a great time from start to finish!
Aren't grandkids the best? I saw a bumper sticker that said,"If I knew that grandkids were so much fun, I would have had them first!" :)
First class rocks. I've had my share of upgrades and I can see why people pay the big bucks to go up there! I always hate that darn curtain when I'm sitting in coach that divides "us" from "them." :)
As for grandchildren.....don't tell my 13 year old, but I'm so excited for her to get married one day and provide me with my own cuties! Ella has set a pretty high standard though!
Post a Comment