Friday, May 22, 2009

REMEMBRANCE

Memorial Day was always a big day in my life growing up. Just 2 weeks before my parents were married, my mother's only brother, who was 9 years old, was killed in an accident. We went every year to the cemetery and cleaned up his headstone and left flowers. As little kids, we would run around on the grass and look at the other headstones. My grandfather was very stern about us being respectful of the place we were at and taught us to always walk at the head of the stone and not across the grave. I felt a reverence for the cemetery. As I got older, we buried one of my mom's sisters and a great uncle next to my mom's brother. They were special people in my life and so it added more meaning to the reverence I felt there.

Bill's father died when he was a senior in high school. When we moved to Sunnyside I looked forward to visiting his dad's grave sight and resuming my Memorial Day pilgrimage. Bill didn't like going to the cemetery because he said to him that's not where his dad was. I wanted the kids to know that is where their grandfather was buried and see his name on the head stone. I looked forward to Memorial Day as it approached each year. The kids loved going out there and cleaning the stone, clearing dead grass, shining up the vase and leaving flowers. Now that Bill's mother has passed away it means even more because I knew her and she loved our kids so much. She loved her children and adored her son. He took such good care of her.

Bill is working Memorial Day and I wanted him to go to the cemetery with me. He works on Saturday also so we took a ride to Sunnyside tonight and got the grave ready for Memorial Day. We stopped by Safeway's and bought some flowers. We bought a bunch of flowers that reminded me of Bill's mom. Now the head stone is cleaned up and you can read the names on it. There are alot of stories that go along with those two names. Four wonderful daughters and a terrific son. I'm grateful our children had their grandma as an active example in their life. I know his dad would have thought they were wonderful grandchildren.

So, Memorial Day is a day for me to reflect, show respect and remember the legacy that goes with being a member of these two family.

5 comments:

Jeanna said...

Janet, I appreciate you sharing this. My mom invited us to SLC to visit the graves of ancestors that I've never met. I had already made plans with H. and the kids. I think because I haven't had much experience with death that I just have never understood going to gravesites on Mem. Day. I forget every single year what the purpose of the day is, and just make fun plans.

Even though I won't be visiting graves, I'll spend some time thinking about loved ones this year, dead and living, far and near.

Have a great weekend!

Abbie said...

Oh Grandma we miss you! Mom, the stone looks great. It's crazy how the ground has come up around it. And those flowers definitely remind me of Grandma.

Aunt Beth said...

On behalf of the sisters, many thanks to both of you for cleaning and decorating the grave and you Janet for writing this post.

Mother and I almost always went to the cemetery when I was there and she was still able to remember more about her life and I've continued driving out there even when mother was unable to go with me. I think I do it more from a respect point of view since our faith is such that we know neither mother nor dad are actually there. Thank goodness their earthly pains and challenges are now memories for them.


It looks so nice.

Aunt Beth

SunnyD said...

What a sweet reminder to us all Janet!!! What a blessing for us all to know that death is just a temporary separation!

Bonnie White said...

Dear Janet,
I love how this tradition has become so special for you and your family. We don't call our holiday in May Memorial Day - it is Victoria Day after the Queen BUT I confess I like your idea way better. Glad we are back in touch with each other and look forward to your visit up here - we can walk and eat right and enjoy getting caught up. When?