I served my mission in the Montreal, Quebec Canada mission from April 1975 to November 1976. I was blessed in many ways during my mission. I'm not sure I realized the blessings, at the time, like I do today. There were alot of adjustments to make at that time and I wish that I could do my mission over again knowing the things I know now - - having the testimony that I do now - - having gone through the growth that I've gone through since then. Can I judge my thoughts and actions, 30 some years ago, to the way I would approach them today? I've had 30 years of growth and experience. I wasn't the person then that I am today.
I helped teach a family that made me realise my testimony of the gospel as I taught them. They were the Bruniau family. The mother was baptised but not the father or their son.

Bill and I visited my mission in 1991 and I was able to see the Bruniau family. The father had been baptised. Their son Eric was a member and he and his wife were having their twin babies blessed the Sunday we were there. What a sweet experience. Thank you Bruniau family for giving me the opportunity to understand my testimony.
As I watched the Quebecois on the cruise I had a longing to renew my knowledge of the French language. I was one of four sisters that arrived in the mission field together. The other three were assigned to English speaking companions and stayed in Montreal, near the mission home. I was sent to Quebec City with a French speaking companion from Belgium. I spent way too much time feeling sorry for myself that I was sent so far away and with someone who didn't speak English. During a conference with other missionaries, I had one of the sisters, that came into the field with me, make the comment of how lucky I was to be able to learn the language so much quicker. I couldn't speak English with my companion and consiquently could have learned the correct way to speak French. I hadn't thought of it that way before. I was too caught up in "Why Me?"
Thank you Sister Fontaine for having patience with me as I had my pity parties.

I trained a sister who taught me the blessings of prayer. I was so caught up in the fact that I couldn't call home when we had a bad day. I thought that all would be better if I could just call my dad and tell him of the experiences of our day. My companion helped me realise, that through prayer, we were able to share with a Father who not only cared but also saw what we had gone through that day. He was with us all the time. Thank you Sister Tonita for helping me realise I had a loving Heavenly Father that was with us at all times.

I had a companion who was a faithful journal writer. I admired that and at the time I was hit and miss with mine. The day she was being transferred, while I was in the shower, she wrote in my journal. "she wanted to help me fill my journal up" She shared with me what she had learned while we served together. She encouraged me in some of the struggles I had experienced. She was going to be training a new sister and she expressed thanks for the example I had given her. Thank you Sister Regehr for helping me understand the importance of writing my experiences in a journal and for sharing your gratitude to me for the service we gave together.

Oh the lessons we learn in life. I'm thankful I was able to be around the Quebecois once again and remember the love I have for them. I have alot more to give in the service of my God and fellowman because of the experiences I had while serving my Savior in Quebec Canada. I'm thankful for that time in my life.
9 comments:
Aww... so sweet. TOtally made me tear up. I'm going to bed now. I promise!
oh how wonderful to read this. Thank you for this post. So sweet, and so neat to hear your thought about your mission and life lessons.
What an uplifting post. Thanks so much for sharing. I feel inspired to be a better person, and to share and appreciate what I have more. Thank you.
Janet you are so so wonderful. I loved this post and admire you so much.
I understand a little how you felt when hearing the Quebecois speak - whenever I hear someone speak French, I listen for that accent and it brings back so many memories. Serving in the Montreal Mission was indeed a great experience. I had forgotten that you also had Bonnie Tonita as a companion. I wish we had been companions longer. Cathy Hunt and I had been companions until that fateful soccer game - then Bonnie joined us in Hull. It was so crazy having two companions in casts. It was great having you in my district twice! I always appreciated your cheerfulness and sense of humor and some of the thoughts and encouragement you shared with me. I was in Montreal last year (my husband and I went on a cruise with his parents that left from Montreal and ended in Boston). I had an urge to ride the bus and the metro, but didn't get a chance. Unfortunately, I have only been able to keep up with one person that I taught that was baptized after I left (Bonnie Hunt Erickson also taught her) and she is not really active in the Church anymore. How I wish I could return and help her regain her testimony. I, too, have learned so much since our missions. We need to get together sometime and reminisce. Remember B-30 (Bay trente?) Thanks for sharing this.
You know me and memories and I loved yours. Even though I met you less than two years after you returned from your mission, I can't get over how much younger you looked in some of these pics then when I met you in Februar;y 1978.
Aunt Beth
I loved reading about your mission. I've never heard much about it.
Isn't it great that time makes everything better? We can look back and see so many blessings and lessons learned from so many situations.
Just the other day my aunt asked me if I enjoyed Russia. I said, when I was there or after I got home?! Looking back it was a great experience...while I was there I only wanted to be home.
I remember seeing you in the book store at BYU and how surprised we were that we had run into each other. I was at a youth conference. Remember that? Then I remember when you came home and taught me all kinds of french songs and a few words too. Thank you for being a good example to me as we both grew in the gospel.
Jeraldean
Your memory is fading. My first area was close to Montreal, but I had a companion from France that did not speak English. Your companion had you call me one night because you were having a hard time and she knew I was in the same boat. We talked and cried and decided there were so many people praying for our success we just couldn't give up.
It was a growing experience for sure.
Sue :)
Post a Comment