Friday, October 5, 2007
OUR SMALL TOWN
I'll try to paint, in your mind, a picture for you of the event your Dad and I went to tonight. Some of you that read this blog (extended family) may not know that Prosser has a population of 7,000 people. We are surrounded by vineyards, hop fields, wineries and various other forms of agriculture. There is an old theater in town that was built in 1919 and was bought in 1991 by a family group that grows carrots in an area about 10 miles south of us. In fact, he is the man who invented the machine that cuts carrots into baby carrots. Anyway, the Princess Theater was finally finished for it's debut performance on Valentine's Day. They have had over 30 different events since then from talent shows, musical plays, musical performances and even showing movies. A year ago, for the balloon rally, a couple from California came to visit for the balloon rally and to visit the wineries. They loved the area and saw the Princess Theater. They inquired what it was used for and consequently met the owner. There was an adjacent building next to it that was for sale. Long story short: the California couple bought the theater and the building next to it. The theater was already finished and being used but they have been remodeling the other building into a place called Pizzeria Venti. It is a franchise Pizza place but is authentic Italian pizza and pasta. It is the coolest place. So........tonight they were handing the keys over to the new owners and had a local talent show in the theater and invited everyone over for a taste of pizza and cake. The community was invited and your dad saw it today when he took his walk. We had no plans this evening and so we headed downtown and became apart of the small town celebration. We are excited about the new restaurant and have loved the three events we've attended at the Princess Theater. We had hoped to go to the restaurant last weekend when Emalei was here for the balloon rally but they weren't quit finished. We'll have to go there when each of you come home to visit. It will be a popular place when the wineries have their wine tours. We continue to love this little community and are glad you kids like it too. Home is where the heart is and our hearts are definately in Prosser at this time in our lives. Hope you all enjoyed your mission reunions and that you each share with us what they were like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well, Janet, let me be the first to observe that I think your stories are quite interesting and I hope to see more of them with ALL the details. And I mean ALL!!
I think one of the reasons Prosser sounds like such a nice place is that you guys dig right in and get involved. Hats off to you both.
Thank goodness conference doesn't begin here until noon today....
Totally unrelated to this post, but I forgot to mention that that black cat I told people about (last week) was resting in my parking space when I came home this afternoon. I swear, it's like he thinks he belongs to me. It's not like my parking spot used to belong to his prior owner or anything like that. He's looking a bit worse for the wear I'm afraid; he was limping a bit. Do you think this might be my Good Samaritan moment??? I may break down and feed him. Ashford wanted to send me home with a can of cat food last night and I said absolutely not. He and a friend in the 'hood took the baby kitten that was tagging along with the black cat last week to a vet last Thurs and it's now taken up residence at Ashford's house!
Ashford's friend who 'owns' the grocery cart is moving soon. I saw his mother yesterday and asked her if she'd like to have my boxes for their move. She said that would be great. Her response when asked how many she'd need? Four! That's right, four. I used forty for one person and she needs four for 2+ people. Of course, they have the grocery car. That must be the difference.
Adios my amiga y hermana,
Beth
YAY for Prosser and YAY for yummy pizza and cozy restaurants! I may have to make a special trip home to enjoy the quintessential small town experience! Today, I'll be enjoying quintessential Seattle experiences with Melissa! YAY for the Northwest!!!
Prosser is quaint and I like its quaintness more than Sunnyside. Wait, Sunnyside isn't really quaint. :) I can't wait to try the pizza restaurant out. You know me and authentic Italian pizza! I can be pretty picky. Can't wait to come home!
Post a Comment