Friday was Erev Yom Kippur (Yom Kippur Eve) so there was no school. I knew I needed to work out, but was bored of the gym. I have known about this park that is about half a mile from my apartment for a while, but never really explored it, so in the afternoon I decided to embark on an adventure and go for a run there. This place is called Discovery Park, and it's 534 acres on a pennisula in NW Seattle. It's basically a wilderness preserve, which means undisturbed forest and coastline. There is a loop trail (for hikers and runners) that is 3 miles and goes through dense rain forest, meadows and follows a cliff with the most stunning view of Puget Sound. I was in awe the entire time with the beauty, serenity and diversity of scenery. There were plenty of people on the trails, but certainly not so many that it felt crowded by any means. It was a typical, cool, cloudy day, which made it a quintessential Seattle experience. It even started sprinkling towards the end of my run, and the sound of falling rain inside the forest was magical. I was all alone, and for a while, forgot that I was in Seattle and just a few minute walk from my apartment. I'll definately be going back for many runs/walks in the future, and I can't wait for visitors to come so I can show off my amazing city to them! The picture above is a view of the part of the trail that goes along the cliff overlooking the Sound. I'm also going to attach a few links in case anyone cares. I hope they work. The first one is a mapquest showing the distance from my apartment to Discovery Park and also the relative size of the park. The second one is a link to some virtual tours of the park. They're better than any pictures I could take! (PS: You have to have Quicktime to view the virtual tours...sorry!)The ridiculously long mapquest site: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&go=1&r=f&aoh=&aot=&aof=&1a=4407%2030th%20Ave%20W&1c=Seattle&1s=WA&1z=98199%2d1452&1y=US&1l=G0MpqCca5HWgjLDnVBVSjQ%3d%3d&1g=Mwf2cOaaOr3TFA6Q3J6Kwg%3d%3d&1pn=&1pl=&1v=ADDRESS&1ffi=1&1n=KING%20COUNTY&1qn=&2a=&2c=Seattle&2s=WA&2z=&2y=US&2l=lLaC%2fWLVxP6BbLtGQlzVNQ%3d%3d&2g=fvOr10RVpfPGNGhzxxZV8w%3d%3d&2pl=&2v=CITY&2ffi=&2n=King%20County&2qn=Discovery%20Park&panelbtn=2&1qc=&q=Discovery%20Park&2pn=Discovery%20Park&2sb=Discovery%20Park%20Visitors%20Ctr%7c3801%20W%20Government%20Way%7cSeattle%7cWA%7c98199%7c47659027%7c%2d122406242%7c206%2d386%2d4236%7cUS&2qc=City%20Government
The Discovery Park Site: http://www.vrseattle.com/pages/browse.php?cat_id=65
5 comments:
I was excited to see your post. You took your dad and I on a brief tour of Discovery Park when we moved your belonging from out garage to your apartment. :) Glad you had a nice afternoon and maybe your Dad and I will need to take a ride and walk through some of it with you.
love you
That place sounds nice. How relaxing and peaceful. If I ever get up there (hey it might happen) take me to see it.
Em,
That is beautiful. I wish I jogged. I actually think about starting jogging, but I can't get past the fact that I would need two sports bras to even attempt it. But seriously, I wish I was a runner, and especially if I had that view.
That's way pretty! I wouldn't have even guessed that it was anywhere near Seattle. I can't wait to come for a visit!!
Boy, I'm with Abbie - who would guess it's so close to your home.
I've always thought it was terrific that all of you kids are so adventuresome compared to so many others I've known. Hats off to all!
OK, let's forget Yom Kippur; where were you when I needed a ruthless co-packer to help me toss/donate some of the stuff I own prior to moving?? Oh, that's right-Discovery Park! I needed your eagle eyes to ferret out all the duplicates. You're the best at that.
Have a great week everyone.
Aunt Beth
Post a Comment